With many office and retail spaces unoccupied due to the COVID-19 pandemic, buildings may be more vulnerable to a break in or robbery. If you are leaving your building with no occupants or a limited staff for security, there are a few precautions you can take regarding your security systems including burglar alarms, cameras and access control systems. Building owners and facility managers should consider the suggestions below to ensure your security system is functioning properly to protect your business and assets:
- If your burglar alarm is monitored by a central station facility, call into your provider to ensure that the system is connected and working properly.
- Make sure your emergency call list is up to date. This will ensure the correct people are contacted in the event of a burglary or break in.
- If your current burglar alarm system does not provide remote access to arm and disarm your system, we recommend contacting your security provider to upgrade your system.
- Log in to your account and view each camera’s live video feed. If one of your cameras is not playing live video, now is the time to contact your security provider to rectify the problem.
- You should consider where you want your security cameras set up while you are not at the building. For example, areas like the front entrance and rear entrances are more vulnerable locations than some interior rooms. It is important to cover the most critical and susceptible areas.
Access Control and Remote Access:
- Check the settings on your access control dashboard to make sure you know who has access to the building. If you are a business who is entirely unoccupied, consider temporarily restricting access for your employees during this period.
- If you have an access control system with a keypad, consider calling your provider to inquire about touch free options, which could help prevent the spread of germs.
We hope you find the above list of suggestions helpful to keep your facility safe during the COVID pandemic. If you should have any questions, please contact AFA Protective Systems at 877-232-1873 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.